Sunday, May 18, 2008

Usenet

Aahh its a sunday afternoon and as usual I am bored. Nothing much to do other than surf through a few boring sites. Today reminds me of days that were about 2 years ago. I had just started posting on the usenet . Initially I started posting on rediff and some online newspapers like economictimes and times of india but there wasnt much activity there and I was kinda bored. Then I came across this google site and woa .. usenet got into my blood. :). I would get up in the middle of the night to reply to some post , wake up a little early in the morning just to check the posts. My favourite site are the ones related to India and Pakistan.Each of the poster on usenet had a typical online personality like

Seeker: All of us carried the impression that Seeker was very old and was senile :)..He was total Paki loyal and would come up of the most unheard of arguments. Me & Jerkovski had some good fun with him.

Naureen: the permanent 16 year old teenager on the net till I shared with her some facts that made it clear that she cant be 16. After that she became scarce on the usenet. Her explaination- she was preparing for MBA !!!. Naureen claimed to be a Pathan and a die hard Islam loyalist. Although she was one of the rare posters on the usenet who would accept mistakes but it had more to do with being a woman than a Muzzie. Besides myself she was the only other female poster on the usenet :(

Nusrat: claimed to be from lucknow. Was a muzzie but hated the muzzie culture. He and Naureen knew each other well. I think he was what you call " the neutral man." Also he was the only man on the usenet who NEVER used dirty language but still managed to put across his point in a very calm and poised fashion.

Koolfire: An indian ( a surd I presume) used horribly funny and abusive language but in the end the mixture of the confused words brought out some great logic. This man had a writing style that many on the usenet try to copy.

Jerkovski: A man with great argumentative and logical skills. I had the maximum fun posting with this poster. We would send a post and then discuss it, pat each others back. LOL. I think half of the fun on posting came from these discussions :). It was good fun until he became geatly inspired by Koolfires and Thoku's. Then his language became extremely abusive :(

Myself: Guess Who? Not too great writing style but did come up with good logic when the mood sets in :)

The excitement of posting was just maddening but then gradually over a period of time most posters stared believing that whosoever uses the most abusive and dirty language wins the argument in the end.Sad but then posting on usenet became next to impossible so here I am discussing this rather than busy posting::)

No comments: