Saturday, April 26, 2008

Changing definition of Friendhship

About 2 years ago, Orkut and all other social networking sites came in to my life. A few days of surfing on the sites and I had some 30 freinds on my network. I felt elated and a certain pride at having touch based with so many friends so quickly. But after a little more surfing on these friendship sites I found that an average id on orkut has about 100+ friends on the list, some even had 300+ friends :0.
My reaction - Do people really have so many friends or am i really an unsocial animal ?

After a brief introspection I conclude the following:
As a kid, a friend was aperson with whom I played with, shared my tiffin box with and got caught together doing mischief with. We fought and then we made up. We stood up for each other in times of need.

As a grown up- a friend is a person who is not my enemy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess so. The definition has become much broader in that sense. An acquaintance in earlier times is now categorized under friends. Plus, you've got varying degrees of friends: just, good, best. At the same time, humans have become much more social with the advent of internet. Introvert population is dwindling by the day. And I'm sure, twitter has something to do with