Sunday, April 13, 2008

Teen Devian

Ab, Cd and myself were the best friends during our school days. We would share our lunches, study together , get into mischief together. Even after leaving school we decided to join the same college so that we can remain together. I used to think of the 3 of us as " teen devian".
But the entry of a man into our life's broke our childhood friendship.

Ab and CD were frequent visitors to my place. Mr. AD used to live right across the street from my home. He was about 10 years our Senior. At 17 in my eyes he was an " uncle'. Although AD thought differently. He started following CD and behaved in the typical road romeo style. CD who was 17 and ready to meet her first boy friend was elated at meeting AD. I was skeptical of there relationship. For me it was a waste of time and above all I didn't trust AD at all. My constant disapproval of the relationship , although didn't breakup my friendship with CD, but the warmth between us was less and the sharing even lesser. Ab became the sole confidant of the relationship between CD and AD.
Months passed. The relationship between CD and AD had set into a pattern. Every saturday after college CD will go over to AD friends home where they would meet. Throughout the week, AD would pull out his bike at 3:00pm sharp and go over to CDs place. Honk his horn in front of her house . CD would come out , smile and wave if possible. There was romance for them in sound of the bike's horn.
One fine day during our lunch break we were discussing about the usual ( AD and CD ) when suddenly Ab told me about this routine of bike's horn. CD had never told me of this routine till that point but it seemed that she had never told Ab also of this routine :). On inquiry we realised that AD would pick his bike and go over to Abs place, honk his horn, Ab would come out smile and wave and then AD will go over to CDs place. Ab was aware of this but CD wasn't. CD took this matter seriously to heart, after all AD was her officially declared boyfriend and Ab was infringing upon her territory. What followed was a typical hindi movie drama. None of them tried to understand that AD was playing with both of them. CD blamed Ab of trying to woo her boyfriend. My intervention , in trying to clarify the issue, only led to being told to keep out of it. The entire college which used to speak of our friendship now was aware of the breakup.
Its been more than 12 years since this episode. Since that day CD and AB never spoke to each other. A year later AD got married. CD too is now happily married with kids. My attempts at bandaging our friendship were lost. Although I am still in touch with Ab and CD , the warmth of the friendship has gone.

No comments: